In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Portland Water District

Portland Water District Douglass Street Facility, Portland, ca. 1928

Contributed by Portland Water District
MMN Item 81439 Item Details
Portland Water District Douglass Street Facility, Portland, ca. 1928
MMN Item 81439 Zoom

Description

This is an exterior photo of Portland Water District's Douglass Street facility taken shortly after its 1928 opening.

This facility was designed by architects John Calvin Stevens and his son John Howard Stevens. The building was constructed by F. A. Rumery Co. of Portland, the copper lanterns on the gates and doors were installed and built by H. N. Blanchard Electric Co. of Portland, and the slate roofing and copper tower were put on by J. E. Brady & Son also of Portland.

This facility included service offices, garage, meter department and warehouse, and replaced the District's Kennebec Street shop.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.